Is the Veterans Aid and Attendance program still a viable program?

It’s true that the Veterans Administration changed the qualification rules effective October 18, 2018. What is not true is this ended the opportunities that come with Veterans Pension Planning.

General Guidelines-DID NOT CHANGE!

  • Veterans must have 90 days of active service with at least one day of service during a defined period of war.
  • To receive a benefit as a surviving spouse, you must still have been married to the veteran when they passed away.
  • A completed Physicians Evaluation must state that you are in need of an aid or attendant on a daily basis.
  • You must have received an honorable or general discharge.
  • You may receive a benefit to pay for care at home, an assisted living facility, or a nursing home. Care can be provided by family, friends, or professionals

Plus we now are offering help to Veterans on Compensation Claims:  Call us to learn more. 

Veterans Pension with Aid and Attendance Benefit

Steve Dabbs – VA Accredited Claims Agent
Accredited By the Department of Veterans Affairs

What is the Aid and Attendance Pension?

The Veteran can receive over $23,232 per Annum Tax-Free to help pay for the High Cost of long-term care.
As a wartime married veteran of any branch of the US military, you may be eligible for up to $27,540 of tax-free income per year. Veterans must be fully disabled or over 65 and rely on the assistance of another individual for daily living activities.
The VA Improved Pension Aid and Attendance is a program in which individuals who served in the military during WWII, the Korean Conflict, the Vietnam War, or the First Gulf War starting in 1990 to date, are eligible for a special VA pension. The benefit extends to the Veteran’s spouse as well as the surviving spouse of a Veteran who served during wartime. Interestingly, the spouse did not have to be married to the Veteran at the time of service. It is also important to note that a common-law marriage is recognized for eligibility.

The pension is paid tax-free to help pay for home health care, an assisted living facility, and nursing home costs. A family member can also provide home health care, and the Veteran can pay that person for the care given.

If you or your spouse served our country during a period of war, check out your eligibility for this benefit. If you require assistance at home, currently live in a senior retirement community or assisted living facility, or if nursing home care is inevitable, you may be able to increase your standard of living or move into a facility where you can get the care you need.

Call us at 800-543-0530.


The Program

Making the decision

The VA Pension will provide needed tax-free funds to help pay for the assistance of someone to help with daily activities such as eating, dressing, mobility, toileting, or bathing. The benefit is for all Veterans; however, if the Veteran is over the age of 65, the need for care does not have to be service-connected. Mental incapacity due to dementia or Alzheimer’s Disease, hip replacements, and even blindness and other diseases of old age may qualify the veteran or spouse for this benefit. Friends, relatives, or professional staff can provide this care at home, in an assisted living facility, or in a nursing home.

What can you receive?

A married veteran can receive up to $2,295 per month; a single veteran may receive up to $1,936 per month. The benefit for care for a spouse is $1,475, while that for a surviving spouse is just over $1,209 per month. These benefits are tax-free and do not affect any Social Security payments.

Who is eligible for Benefits?

Veterans who served during a period of war, their spouses, their surviving spouses, or their dependent children. Must have served for at least one day during the period of war, 90 consecutive days of active duty, and honorable discharge.
The need for aid does not have to be service-related for those over the age of 65. For those under 65, assistance is available for total disability or for service-related partial disabilities.